This book addresses important issues regarding the interaction between the nervous system, the immune system, and the digestive system. Gut flora has a profound influence on the shaping of the immune response, not only in the gastrointestinal system but also in the nervous system. Fascinatingly, manipulation of intestinal immune responses can be used to modulate neurological disease. Conversely, the nervous system and the psyche have significant effects on the functioning of the gut and liver.
After introductory chapters on the neurology, the immunology and microbiology of the gut, the effects of the gut immune system and gut flora and its manipulation on neurological disease are discussed, followed by molecular mimicry and immune tolerance in neuroimmune diseases. Additionally, several chapters deal with gastrointestinal manifestations of neurological diseases.
Neuro-Immuno-Gastroenterology is aimed at neurologists, gastroenterologists, and immunologists.
“This book is designed to increase the understanding of the complex relationship between the gut flora, the nervous system, and the immune system, a topic that is often poorly understood and underappreciated in clinical medicine. … book is intended for practicing clinicians in the fields of gastroenterology, neurology, and immunology, written by authors who are experts in their fields. … a useful contribution to the field, as many books aiming to cover a wealth of information lack these specific topics.” (Nicole E. Pisapia, Doody’s Book Reviews, March, 2017).
Some chapters of this book are listed below:
- The Immunology of the Gastrointestinal System
- The Enteric Nervous System
- Roles of Substance P in Gastrointestinal Functions and Neuroimmune Interactions
- Immunomodulation by Vasoactive Intestinal Polypeptide (VIP)
- Helicobacter pylori, Experimental Autoimmune Encephalomyelitis, and Multiple Sclerosis
- Stress and the Gastrointestinal System
- Guillain–Barré Syndrome and Campylobacter jejuni Enteritis
- Gut Microbiota: A Possible Role in the Pathogenesis of Multiple Sclerosis
- The Neuroimmunology of Gluten Intolerance
- The Neurology of Autoimmune Pernicious Anaemia (Subacute Combined Degeneration)
Hardcover: 337 pages; Publisher: Springer; 1st ed. 2016 edition (May 25, 2016).